Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The Boy Who Cried Racist

There are a few facts that everybody seems to agree on.

The black Harvard professor forgot his keys and when he returned from a trip had to break into his own house. A concerned neighbor called the police. The officer that arrived ascertained that he lived there.

And then things get interesting. The officer claims that the professor got abusive and was arrested for being disorderly. The professor claims that he was arrested because they didn't believe a black person could live there. President Obama stated that the cops acted stupidly.

it doesn't sound as though race was a factor. I'm sure that after such a long trip, anybody would be tense. But even so, you don't harass cops. I recently had state police point their guns at me after a misunderstanding. I didn't take offense; I knew they were doing their job.

What I find curious is the people that think every bad thing that happens to them is because of racism. If the cops had taken too long to respond- or hadn't responded at all- the same charge would have been levied. Instead, the cops quickly and thoroughly arrived and did their job, only to hear the same complaints.

I'm pleased that the officer has refused to apologize. And I caution people that if they cry racism at every slight, we won't believe you when it actually happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment